Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

Last weekend I went to an event and they were raffling off prizes, which included a 3-month, 6-month, and 1-year membership to one of my favorite yoga studios. I wanted it SO BADLY. I was thinking how much it would change my life - maybe I would move near the studio, I'm pretty sure I'd be ready for teacher training by the end of the year, all the new people I'd meet and things I would try. Then they brought up the gal who won the year membership last year. And - hopefully you can feel me getting a little snarly here - she said she hadn't wanted to go to the party, nor did she even like yoga. She got dragged by a friend and then won. I was so bitter when I first heard that. How could the world give someone so ungrateful and disinterested something I wanted so badly? As her story unraveled, she now frequents the studio several times a week, and is a huge yoga devotee. She needed that one-year membership to bring something new and wonderful in her life. I was able to find it through some other channel. This was really a moment where I remembered that sometimes other people need things more than me. It's always easy to get caught up in your own wishes and desires, but being happy when others have things you don't can still bring great peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment