Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Two days ago I attended a workshop about how to give physical adjustments in yoga. I'm not currently training to be a teacher, or any kind of professional in giving them, but as an avid receiver, I thought it would be really interesting to learn about what goes on in giving them. Going into it, I expected the teacher would point out various body parts, and how they can be positioned wrong and what it looks like when they are in proper alignment.

I got a whole lot more than that.

My daily life doesn't really require that I approach people without invitation and in a highly personal manner, so I don't usually think about what goes into that. During yoga practice, most people are in their own personal thoughts, and becoming aware of their body, and there is just a moment going on during the class. When a teacher comes up and touches you, and often it is somewhere you rarely get touched, say your tummy or your hips, we even got to the sternum and the sacrum, there is more than just physical contact going on. You enter someone's personal space, and there can be an exchange of energy there. And it's always different. Of course it's a given that every person is different, and their bodies are different, but I had never fully experienced this. Entering people's personal space has always been an isolated experience for me - when it happens it is not very often and never close together with different people. Throughout this class, I had the oppourtunity to adjust 10-12 different people. Your hands are on their body, they are trusting you, and then vice versa as I was being adjusted by them. The exchange of energy here was huge, and probably one of the best ways to really get to know yourself - what you are currently capable of and where you can go.

While I'm sure not everyone wants to sign up for a yoga workshop, I would definitely suggest opening yourself up to the human experience wherever possible, and seeing where it can take you. Any oppourtunity to get closer to people, in any setting, will reward and strengthen you.

No comments:

Post a Comment