Pages

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Life sans car involves a lot of walking. While I was living with my friends, I walked to and from the gym, grocery store, mall, wherever - all my errands were easily accessible. I always wore a backpack so I could have an umbrella on hand (very necessary) and acquire things along the way. I'm also one of those environmental types who feels a lot better about themselves by not using disposable grocery bags. Every time I was at the grocery store and stuffing all my things into my backpack, the self-checkout would beep at me and someone would have to come over and verify that I wasn't stealing. It was always the same man, and I was always semi-embarrassed that I had the same problem every day and couldn't be organized enough to stop the machine from beeping. Me and Mr. Safeway had yet to have a real conversation, but we were definitely on familiar terms.

I haven't been back to that grocery store in awhile because I moved, but I was there today picking up aluminum foil for this dia del accion de gracias - I like the Spanish version, it sounds more active than the English word - and Mr. Safeway was there as well. He was standing very near to me, most likely anticipating some kind of issue, when I heard him say "Ma salaama, habibi," to another man, and then he replied with "inshallah." I got so excited I forgot to think after that. This is the first time I have heard and understood Arabic in a completely natural setting. And in my local grocery store?! How unexpected! What he said wasn't terribly complicated, in fact most people who have traveled to a Middle Eastern country would be able to understand, but it was still incredibly rewarding to be there, to understand, to get feedback on months of studying the language.

The literal translation of what Mr. Safeway said is "Peace be with you, my dear," and "God-willing." These are very common terms of endearment, similar to "Have a good day," and "I hope that what you said actually happens." After I heard him speak, I asked him where he was from (Egypt) and told him I was taking Arabic classes. He pounced on that one! Offered to help me, give me dictionaries, it was . . . amazing. Moments like this - when you find someone who is different than you, been through different things, lived in different places, sees your world with different eyes, and you find a way to connect anyway - are what define "humanity" for me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Whitney,
    It was a pleasure meeting you. The joy you find in the world around you is inspiring. I shall keep checking your blog and learning of your new adventures and next time you are in Queen Anne (at the chocolate shop perhaps) some visit the studio.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete